NOSM University is fortunate to have so many dedicated individuals and organizations that have made generous donations towards various awards and bursaries. These funds help ease the financial burden of residents and, in turn, help improve the health of the people of Northern Ontario by allowing residents to focus more on becoming a great medical practitioner.
2021-2022 Award Recipients
Weyerhaeuser TimberStand Plant Post Graduate Award
Dr. Zacchary Fredette was last year’s recipient of the Weyerhaeuser TimberStand Plant Post Graduate Award. He obtained his certification with the Canadian College of Family Physicians through family medicine residency at the Northern Ontario School of Medicine’s Kenora site, based principally out of the Lake of the Woods District Hospital, as well as the Keewatin Medical Clinic. He is currently undertaking a third post-graduate year of training in Emergency Medicine at the University of Ottawa. He expects to practice medicine in rural Northern Ontario, as well as rural Southern Manitoba, as a family physician, emergency physician and clinical educator. The Weyerhaeuser TimberStand Plant Post Graduate Award for Postgraduate Learners Bursary Fund went a long way in paying for specialized training in critical care, to help him provide better care to patients of all ages.
Tina Sartoretto Memorial PG Award
Dr. Lasha Gorecki was last year’s recipient of the Tina Sartoretto Memorial PG Award. She is completing her residency at Temiskaming Hospital. Dr. Gorecki is committed to the health and well-being of the people in the district of Temiskaming and her passion is reflected in her hard work and dedication. Dr. Gorecki has a particular interest in addictions medicine. She is grateful for the award and how it supported her in deepening her skills in not only addictions medicine but also all areas of family practice.
Elliot Lake Retirement Living Postgraduate Award
How to Apply
Residents applying for an award should complete the Awards Application Form by the closing date.
Application Opening Date: July 29, 2022
Application Closing Date: August 15, 2022
Application Review: September 27, 2022
Announcements: October 17, 2022
Awards Available in 2022-23 Application Cycle
B2022-1a: Elliot Lake Retirement Living PG Award = 1 @ $5,000
- Awarded to a NOSM University Family Medicine Resident based in the city of Elliot Lake
B2022-2a&b: Manitoulin Transport PG Award(s) = 2 @ $5,000
- Awarded to two Family Medicine PGY1 Residents entering the Family Medicine – Rural Stream
- The Award Recipient agrees to complete their Residency in Family Medicine on Manitoulin Island
- Preference will be given to learners who completed their undergraduate medical degree at the NOSM University.
B2022-3a: Tina Sartoretto Memorial Post Graduate Award = 1 @ $5,000
- To support a NOSMU Family Medicine learner that agrees to complete their (PGY1) residency in Family Medicine (Rural Stream) in the Temiskaming Shores region (hospital or health centre).
- To support NOSM University and for that purpose, preference will be given to learners who completed their undergraduate medical degree at the NOSM University.
B2022-4a: Kenora Weyerhaeuser Timber Stand plant Award = 1 @ $5,000
- Resident must have chosen to complete their residency in Kenora
- NOSMU Rural FM Resident in PGY1 or PGY2