Prospective Residents/How to Apply
The NOSM U Family Medicine program participates in the R-1 Main Residency Match through the Canadian Residency Matching Service (CaRMS). Application to the the program can be found by visiting the CaRMS website at www.carms.ca.
Final year medical school students and all other eligible applicants who are interested in Family Medicine residency training at NOSM U are encouraged to apply to all of our streams (North Bay, Sault Ste. Marie, Timmins, Thunder Bay, Sudbury, Remote First Nations and the Northern Ontario Rural stream) through CaRMS.
The NOSM U Family Medicine Residency Program will review candidates’ applications based on:
- demonstrated interest in Family Medicine
- ability to fulfill all CanMEDS-FM roles
- demonstrated interest in clinical practice in northern Ontario and/or rural medicine
- strong academic record
- strength of references
- excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills
- evidence of self-directed learning and reflective practice
- desire to train in variety of clinical practices and community settings
- connection to northern Ontario educationally, professionally, or personally
We are also looking for and rewarding applicants who have completed a broad range of electives. We recognize that the COVID-19 pandemic has limited many elective options and electives with us are not necessary!