Office of the President and Vice Chancellor
Dr. Sarita Verma, BA, LLB, MD, CCFP, FCFP
Dr. Sarita Verma is the First President and Vice Chancellor of NOSM University (April 1, 2022) and former Dean, President and CEO of the Northern Ontario School of Medicine. She was the Vice President, Education at the Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada and is a Professor Emerita in the U of T Department of Family and Community Medicine. Formerly the Deputy Dean of the Faculty of Medicine and Associate Vice-Provost, Health Professions Education she is a family physician who originally trained as a lawyer at the University of Ottawa (1981) and later completed her medical degree at McMaster University (1991). She has been a Diplomat in Canada’s Foreign Service and worked with UNHCR in Sudan and Ethiopia for several years. In 2021 she was named one of the most powerful physicians in Canada and inducted into the McMaster University Alumni Gallery.
Dr. Verma is the 2006 recipient of the Donald Richards Wilson Award in medical education from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada; the 2009 co-recipient of the May Cohen Gender Equity Award from the Association of Faculties of Medicine in Canada and the 2016 recipient of the Charles Mickle Fellowship from the University of Toronto for excellence in medical education. For six years she held the position of Governor at the University of Toronto. She has been a board member of several teaching hospitals, namely the Women’s College Hospital, North York General Hospital, Trillium Health Partners the Michener Institute, Associated Medical Services and a member of and Chair of the Board of the National Canadian Residency Matching Service. She currently sits on the Board of the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Center (TBRHSC) and the Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada (AFMC), ICES, Health Services Organization (HSO), Associated Medical Services (AMS) and of the Health Sciences Network Research Institute (HSNRI) in Sudbury. Dr Verma was featured on Matt Galloway’s CBC The Current on June 10, 2021 which you can listen to here.
President’s Performance Goals
The President establishes performance goals on an annual basis. A summary of the agreed performance goals is provided to the Board of Governors on an annual basis and published here.
May 2022 – May 2023
- Establish new budget model and financial sustainability
- Create new work model in a post pandemic world
- Complete new Collective Agreement with OPSEU 1
- Complete Review of NOAMA
- Successful targeted fundraising
- Complete new Board of Governors and Senate appointment
- Appoint and Install inaugural Chancellor
- Navigate ongoing legal issues and establish new relationships with Laurentian and Lakehead Universities
- Implementation of the Equity Strategy
- Continue Year 3 implementation of the NOSM University Strategic Plan – Set new overarching Strategic Direction – Establish NOSM U as a University
- Successful site visit of CACMS (October 2022) and follow up PGME Residency program accreditation reports and prepare for other program accreditation
- Create the NOSM University IQAP process
- Roll out the expansion of medical school
- Establish plan for research administration
- Open international programs in Graduate studies and of international fellows in PGME
- Facilitate the transition of the AHSNs departments to an academic model
*approved by the Transition Board on May 12, 2022
September 2021 – May 2022
- Manage the navigation of NOSM-to-NOSM University including the transition of the Board, Senate and appointment of the inaugural Chancellor.
- Complete the continued accreditation of the degree program in MD (to have a review in October 2022), PGME accreditation and prepare for other program accreditation (i.e. NODIP).
- Continue Implementation of The NOSM Challenge 2025 strategic plan.
- Facilitate opportunities to achieve financial sustainability for NOSM as it becomes NOSM University.
*approved by the Board on September 2021
The Office of the President Staff
The primary responsibilities include overseeing the operations, communicating and advancing the vision, and developing strategies to ensure NOSM University meets it’s corporate, academic and social accountability mandates.
Contact the Office of the President:
- Chantale Dean, Executive Assistant, Office of the President (Sudbury) (email@example.com) or general mailbox (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Vin Auld, EA (Thunder Bay) (email@example.com)
Gina Kennedy, Director Office of the President and University Secretary (firstname.lastname@example.org) or general mailbox (email@example.com)
The Office of the President also includes the following units:
For information about NOSM University’s bicameral Governance, please visit the University Secretary and Governance section of our website.
How to invite the President, Provost or Chancellor to your event – link to forms and information