Students Studying Outside of Ontario
Starting in the Fall of 2022, the NOSM U Rehabilitation Sciences Program is introducing an Application Stream for students who are studying in an accredited Rehabilitation Sciences Program at a university outside of Ontario, including an Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, Speech-Language Pathology or Audiology Program.
This stream allows students studying outside of Ontario to apply to complete a placement at one of our partnering clinical sites in Northern Ontario. Financial support for housing and transportation to and from Northern Ontario is not available to students who are studying outside of Ontario, based on the funding for our program through the Ontario Ministry of Health.
At this time this stream is only available to students studying in a Canadian-based program.
This stream is intended for students who have strong ties to Northern Ontario and who are interested in pursuing employment here upon completion of their program. Given challenges associated with securing short-term housing in Northern Ontario, students should consider their ability to secure housing prior to applying for a placement.
Capacity to accept applications from out of province students will be assessed based on overall application numbers received in each of the NOSM U RS Program’s four annual application timeframes. There is no guarantee that clinical placements will be provided to each learner who applies to this program.
A fee of $250 per placement will be invoiced to the student’s university program, which helps cover some of the costs associated with coordinating an out of province placement, including support provided to the learner by our Program Coordinator and team of Clinical Learning Liaisons before, during and after the placement. This fee will also cover the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) premiums that are required for out of province students to complete a placement in Ontario.
- If an application is not accepted or if a placement cannot be arranged for the student, the fee will not be charged.
- If a placement is canceled by the clinical site after it has been confirmed, the fee will not be charged.
- If a confirmed placement is canceled or declined by the student, a $125 administration fee will be charged to the student’s university program.
The student’s home university will need to complete an affiliation agreement with NOSM University for the purposes of this application system, and will also need to arrange a placement agreement with the clinical site where a placement is secured. These agreements will be provided if a student’s application is accepted and a placement is confirmed for the student.
- Out of province students who would like to be considered for a placement in Northern Ontario through NOSM U should first discuss their intention with the fieldwork/placement coordinator for their program at their home university. Applications that are submitted without prior approval from a student’s fieldwork/placement coordinator will not be considered.
- Once they have received approval from their fieldwork/placement coordinator to apply, they can complete the application form:
- To maximize the likelihood of having an application accepted, we encourage students to be flexible with the location and placement dates on their application where this is possible.
- Within two weeks after the application deadline in each placement timeframe, our program will follow-up with students and their fieldwork/placement coordinator to confirm the details of their request and whether or not their application can be accepted in the requested timeframe. Applications that were submitted without prior approval from a student’s fieldwork/placement coordinator will not be considered. Applications can be submitted at any time throughout the year. The application deadlines for each placement timeframe are outlined below:
- October 1st for Winter Placements (January 1 – March 31)
- January 1st for Spring Placements (April 1 – May 31)
- March 1st for Summer Placements (June 1 – August 31)
- June 1st for Fall Placements (September 1 – December 31)
- Once a student’s request for a placement has been approved, our team will follow-up with the student and their fieldwork/placement coordinator to outline additional requirements.
For general inquiries, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.