Prospective Residents/ How to Apply
Candidates interested in this general practice Anesthesia program should be in their second year of Family Medicine, CCFP program or should have successfully completed their CCFP exams. Candidates with the intention of practicing in Northern Ontario after completion of the one-year training are given preference. Candidates should have recent certification in ACLS. Support for ATLS and NRP certification will be available, if not already obtained.
To be eligible for NOSM U’s Enhanced Skills Programs candidates must be either:
- Currently enrolled as a PGY2 in a Canadian Family Medicine Residency Program at the time of application. Residents must start their PGY3 within 12 months of completing their PGY2 year.
- *A physician currently practicing in Canada and meeting program funding eligibility requirements according to the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC).
*Note: Practicing physicians interested in taking the NOSM U FPA Program must apply separately through the MOHLTC Re-Entry Program. Additional information about the Re-Entry Program and application requirements are available on the MOHLTC Central Forms Repository.
Applying to our program
The NOSM University Family Practice Anesthesia enhanced skills program participates in the FM-ES Match through the Canadian Residency Matching Service (CaRMS). Application to the program can be found by visiting the CaRMS website at www.carms.ca.
The application deadline, interview date, and match day for each year is listed on the Canadian Residency Matching Service (CaRMS) website. Please check the CaRMS website at www.carms.ca as they will be overseeing the match process, which usually begins in August of each year with a deadline for application usually set for the beginning of September.
We do not offer any on-site visits.
Program Virtual Information Sessions
August 21, 2023, we will be hosting our next information session to provide details on our program and the experience you might have in choosing NOSM University as your Family Practice Anesthesia Residency. This session will be led by past graduates of our program.
To join the event on August 21, please click on this link.
The event is scheduled from 7:00 – 8:15 PM EST.
1) Application form
2) Three Letters of Recommendation
- one from your primary Family Medicine preceptor
- one from an anesthesiologist supervisor
- one letter of your choice
Each letter must be accompanied by the “Referee Assessment of Applicant form”.
3) Assessment by Program Director
- A letter from your Family Medicine Program Director (or Site Director in circumstances where this cannot be obtained from the PD) must be accompanied by the “Family Medicine Program Director’s Assessment of Applicant”.
4) Personal Letter
- A personal letter describing yourself and your career interests is required.
5) Curriculum Vitae