NOSM University and Algoma University host special announcement in Sault Ste. Marie next weekPosted on July 21, 2023
Community members are welcome to join in person or virtually
All community members, including the media, are invited to join Ms. Asima Vezina, President & Vice-Chancellor of Algoma University, along with Dr. Sarita Verma, President, Vice-Chancellor, Dean and CEO of NOSM University, for a special announcement in Sault Ste. Marie.
Wednesday, July 26, 2023
10:30 AM – 11:00 AM (EST)
Special Announcement with Algoma University
NOSM University Town Hall
Immediately following the special announcement, Dr. Verma invites you to a NOSM University town hall.
11:00 AM – 12:00 PM (EST)
NOSM University Town Hall
Algoma University, Convergence Centre, Room 203
1520 Queen Street E., Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Via YouTube @NOSMtv
Canada’s first stand-alone medical university—NOSM University—is growing! We are consulting widely with Northern Ontarians as the University moves forward with its strategic priorities, which include advocating for equitable health care, especially for underserved rural, Indigenous and Francophone communities in Northern Ontario.
– 30 –
Algoma University, established in Sault Ste. Marie in 1965, offers a wide range of degrees and certificates spanning the liberal arts, sciences, and professional disciplines. The University also offers programming at campus locations in Brampton and Timmins. Algoma University has a Special Mission to cultivate cross-cultural learning between Indigenous populations and other communities. For more information, please visit www.algomau.ca.
NOSM University is Canada’s first independent medical university and one of the greatest education and physician workforce strategy success stories of Northern Ontario. More than just a medical university, it was purpose-built to address the health needs of the region. While advocating for equitable access to care, the university contributes to the economic development of Northern Ontario. NOSM University relies on the commitment and expertise of the peoples of Northern Ontario to educate health-care professionals to practise in Indigenous, Francophone, rural, remote, and underserved communities. With a focus on diversity, inclusion, and advocacy, NOSM University is an award-winning, socially accountable organization renowned for its innovative model of distributed, community-engaged education and research.
NOSM University’s presence in Sault Ste. Marie
Sault Ste. Marie regularly hosts medical students, resident doctors and other health sciences learners.
- According to NOSM University’s estimates, more than 350 physicians are needed across Northern Ontario and that number does not factor in retirements that may take place over the next five years.
- Of this, we need 150 specialists and over 200 family physicians and 110 of these in rural communities.
- Teaching occurs in clinics, at hospitals, and in family health teams in Sault Ste. Marie.
- Of the 156 NOSM University faculty members practising in Sault Ste. Marie, 7 self-identify as Francophone and 5 self-identify as Indigenous.
- Ten faculty members are in NOSM University leadership positions.
- From 2019 to 2023, Sault Ste. Marie has welcomed more than 270 learners.
For further information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.