Program Overview & Highlights
Length of training: three (3) years with option of four (4) years
Since its inception, the Internal Medicine program has grown and developed in response to resident feedback. Northern Ontario offers residents a rare opportunity to develop the broad-based knowledge and skills of a true general internist, in an environment with a wide variety of patient problems, diseases and conditions. Residents gain skills quickly in an environment with high clinical responsibility backed-up by strong support from preceptors.
With a diverse exposure to all subspecialty procedures and clinical scenarios, residents completing NOSM University Internal Medicine program can expect to practice as highly trained, competent and confident Internal Medicine generalists.
The following represent the highlights of our program:
- Unmatched opportunities to develop and learn technical and practical subspecialty skills early in your residency
- Unparalleled preceptor support with lower learner to preceptor ratios, often working solely with your preceptor
- Early integration as a key member of a health care team dedicated to professionalism, high quality patient care and excellent medical education
- Commitment to resident learning
- Self-directed, learner-centred training to meet your career goals
- Exposure to the culture and social fabric of Francophone and Indigenous communities
- Housing and support from NOSM University for rotations away from primary residence
- Opportunity to participate in research under expert guidance
- Access to advanced technology and informatics in residency training
- 24/7 access to electric search engines, electronic indexes as well as an extensive collection of electronic medical/health journals and textbooks
- Exceptional lifestyle balance with a wide variety of outstanding Northern Ontario recreational opportunities