Donate Now!

Frequently Asked Questions

Click on the + to see details on each topic.

Technology Requirements

What are the information technology requirements?

The recommended computer hardware is:
Apple M1,
Intel i5,or i7 Processor
256GB solid state storage (SSD)
Google Chrome web-browser

The recommended home internet bandwidth speed is:
5 Mbps download
1.5 Mbps upload
Use to test the speed of your computer.

Can I use any web browser to access NOSM University’s Intranet?

NOSM University’s Intranet is supported by Google Chrome and Safari. No other browser is officially supported.


International Learners

I am a permanent resident. Am I considered a domestic student?

Yes. Permanent residents pay domestic tuition fees.

I am an international student. Can I enroll as a part-time student?

International students can enroll as full-time students only.

I am an international student. Can I enroll in the MMS course-based option?

At this time we are not accepting applications from international applicants for the course-based program. International learners are currently only eligible to apply to the thesis-based program.


Resident Learners

I am in a residency program: can I enroll in the MMS Program?

On the approval of the Postgraduate Program Director, resident physicians currently enrolled in a NOSM U postgraduate training program will also be eligible for admission to the MMS program on a part-time basis. 

Will a graduate degree interfere with obtaining a residency in the future?

No. It will not interfere with obtaining a residency in the future. If you are a resident at NOSM University, on the approval of the Post-Graduate Program Director, you can be eligible for admission to the MMS program.


Status and Program Questions

What are the research topics studied by Graduate Studies Supervisors and Co-Supervisors?

NOSM University’s Faculty are primarily interested in research focused on medical education, distributed learning and health issues and challenges of Northern Ontario and rural communities. Research interests for our Graduate Studies Supervisors and Co-supervisors can be found here. Reach out to our Supervisors and Co-Supervisors – they would be more than happy to discuss and determine if their research program aligns with your research interests.

Can I change from the thesis-based stream to course-based stream, and vice-versa?

If the program you choose is not correct for you and you would like to switch your program, students can switch from the thesis stream to course-based stream, or vice versa. 

What is the difference between part-time and full-time study?

  1. Full-time status means that the student is not employed more than 10 hours per week. A learner enrolled in full time studies should not be employed more than 10 hours per week.  
  2. Full-time students enrolled in a Thesis-based or Course-based graduate program are expected to complete their studies in six (6) semesters [two (2) years]. 
  3. Part-time students enrolled in a Thesis-based or Course-based graduate program are expected to complete their studies in eighteen (18) terms [six (6) years]. 
  4. You are considered a Part Time learner if you are enrolled one course per semester.

Can I change my status from full-time to part-time?

  1. If a student switches from full-time to part-time studies, or vice versa, their time in program will be calculated as follows: one (1) full-time semester is equivalent to three (3) part-time semesters. 
  2. Graduate students can only apply for a status change from full-time to part-time, or vice versa, only prior to the beginning of the Fall term. Status change cannot be requested once the Fall term has begun for the academic year. 

I enrolled part-time but I may complete the program requirements in less than three years. Can I?

Yes, you can. However, you will need to pay the equivalent of two years of full-time tuition fees to graduate.

I have completed the program requirements in less than two years. Is there anything I need to know?

Yes. You can complete your program requirements in less than two years. However, you will need to pay the equivalent of two years of full-time tuition fees to graduate.

Does the MMS Program allow for Leaves of Absence or Time Extensions?

Yes. Graduate students can apply for a Leave of Absence for a maximum of three (3) semesters [one (1) full year] during their program of study with the possibility of extension under exceptional circumstances. Leave of Absence may be granted in the following circumstances:  

  • Academic (Supervisor(s) absent from university, courses not offered, equipment failures, etc.); 
  • Family-related (pregnancy, unusual or exceptional family care responsibilities, etc.); 
  • Employment (relocation, etc.); 
  • Medical (medical certificate of inability to continue in program, etc.) or  
  • Financial or change in material circumstances.

Time Extensions will be granted on a case-by-case basis and will require support from the graduate student’s supervisor(s) if enrolled in a Thesis-based program. Extensions will only be granted on a term-by-term basis, for up to three (3) semesters [one (1) full year] for full-time students. Part-time students have a maximum of eighteen (18) semesters [six (6) years] to complete the program without the possibility of extension.  

How do I withdraw from the program?

Graduate students wishing to withdraw from the program can do so: this process can be initiated through contacting the Graduate Studies Office via email.

Please review the Academic Fee Schedule and graduate studies refund schedule under the Refund Policy governed by the Registrar. The policies outline what happens when a graduate student withdraws from the program. 


Course-related Questions

Which courses are required and which are electives?

The course requirements for each graduate program are listed on the program’s website.

How many course do I need to enroll in per semester?

Full-time students can enroll in a maximum of three (3) courses per semester. Part-time students can only enroll in a maximum of one (1) course per semester 

All graduate students enrolled in a Thesis-based program must register in the Research Thesis (GMMS 6009) course every semester (full-time and part-time students) 

What is a course-overload and does the MMS Program allow for course-overloads?

Graduate students can take additional courses per semester beyond the three (3) course maximum: this is considered a course-overload. Graduate students may choose to do this in order to complete their program sooner by taking more courses per semester; however, they will be required to pay at least six (6) semesters [two (2) years] of tuition regardless of completion time and program status (full-time or part-time).  

Please review the sections in the NOSM University Student Accounts and familiarize yourself with the Tuitions & Fees, Payment Due Dates, and Financial Regulations.


If you cannot find the answer to your question here, please email for any further inquiries.