Resources for Staff and Faculty
What We Do
The Communications and External Relations Team leads and implements NOSM University’s efforts with regard to all formal (or “official”) internal and external communications, consistent with the University’s strategic goals and priorities.
Our team works to promote, enhance, and protect the School’s reputation as a leader in distributed, community-engaged education and research. We strive to create communications that enhance the cohesiveness of the whole school and develop and support communications strategies and tactics that are necessary to the success of a socially accountable model of medical education.
How We Can Help You
We are here to support you! NOSM University’s Communications and External Relations Office provides a wide array of services to the University community. Visit our intranet site for a variety of tools and resources.
Here’s a list of things we’d be happy to help you with:
- Communications Counsel: Provide communications counsel to NOSM University’s Executive Group, Senior Leadership Group, staff, faculty, learners, and others engaged with NOSM.
- Communications Policies and Procedures: Oversee these important guiding documents with respect to NOSM University communications (external communication, media relations, translation services, etc.).
- Crisis Communications: Work with NOSM University administration and host universities to ensure staff and faculty receive urgent messages.
- Design and Canadian Press Style Training: Provide training and mentorship to NOSM University employees regarding use of design software and Canadian Press style requirements.
- Development of Key Messages: Provide assistance with developing key messaging for NOSM University activities and initiatives.
- Editing: Review, revise, and edit NOSM University reports and documentation for content, grammar, punctuation, style, and language use.
- Employee Engagement: Help to facilitate employee engagement and positive morale through special events, whole school meetings, The NOSM University Pulse, targeted newsletters, support of staff, faculty, and learner Awards of Excellence programs, and the sharing of employee successes.
- Graphic Design: Complete design projects from concept to completion (branding, creative design, production and print- and web-ready files) for all official print and electronic materials.
- Marketing: Market NOSM University’s programs, services, and volunteer opportunities to appropriate target groups.
- Media Monitoring: Monitor media coverage related to NOSM University, and collect information and statistics to create media reports.
- Media Relations: Liaise with media outlets across Northern Ontario (e.g. CTV and Northern Ontario Medical Journal), Ontario (e.g. The Medical Post) and Canada (e.g. The Globe and Mail) to build and sustain NOSM University’s positive reputation across the region, nationally, and internationally. Write media releases, public service announcements, and media advisories to promote the activities and successes of NOSM University staff and faculty in print, broadcast, and online media. Arrange interviews and media conferences to answer questions from the media.
- Media Training/Counsel: Provide training and counsel (to leadership, staff, faculty, researchers, learners, etc.) with respect to interacting with the media.
- Photography Services: Conduct photo shoots of NOSM University events, individuals, and locations.
- Presentation Training/Assistance: Provide tips, suggestions, and design/photography assistance regarding presentations.
- Promotional Items: Select, order, and manage NOSM University promotional items including clothing, gift items, and stationery.
- Publications and Conference Reports: Create, design, and distribute publications, reports, brochures, newsletters, and other publications for the purposes of internal and external communication and engagement.
- Signage: Create, with our partners, external and internal signage for distributed sites.
- Speaking Notes and Scenarios: Prepare speaking notes/speeches and event scenarios for public and high-profile events.
- Stationary: Design and arrange for the printing of all NOSM University business cards, invitations, letterhead, and envelopes.
- Strategic Communications Planning: Collaborate with groups across School to conceptualize, develop, write, and undertake focused communications and marketing plans for specific initiatives at NOSM University.
- Social Media: Engage with internal and external stakeholders via various social media channels including YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
- Tours: Conduct and arrange tours of NOSM University for dignitaries, special guests, and other stakeholders.
- Translation: Arrange translation services for formal communications and upon request.
- Videography Services: Design, plan, create, and edit promotional and informational videos about the University. Liaise with third parties who wish to film NOSM University activities.
- Visual Identity: Manage visual identity of NOSM University logo(s) and related intellectual property (including template documents, posters, presentations, etc.) to ensure compliance with identity standards and reputational branding.
- Website Management: Create, write, review, approve, and manage content and images on the NOSM University website (nosm.ca). Create and manage additional websites for special initiatives (wanted.nosm.ca).
- Writing Services: Interview, research, and write copy for various uses, including social media, publications, website, and internal and external reports.
Logos and Templates
Request our Services
The Communications Team is here to help! We are here to support you in spreading the word about the incredible work that you do here at NOSM University—whether it’s promoting an exciting research project, or updating website content.
Please, take a minute and tell us in detail how we can help you. Please include any information about your project that will help us help you better, including project name, launch date, project purpose, target audience and budget. If you get stuck at any time, don’t be shy to give us a call. Online request form.