Donate Now!

Resident FAQs

Here you will find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions new residents have when they start with NOSM. Bookmark this page as we will be continuing to update this page as more questions are submitted to the PGME office.

PGME Office

Q: Do I have to get a criminal record check each year?

A: No, for re-appointment, residents are required to complete a Criminal Record Disclosure Form in lieu of submitting VSS.

Payroll and Benefits

Q: Where do I find Benefits information and how long it will take to get the Benefits cards.

A: The Manulife Benefit booklet was sent to all new residents via email prior to their start date. The booklet can also be found here. Manulife will mail out the benefit card and it will take about 3 to 4 weeks to receive it. If you require an electronic copy of your benefit card prior to receiving your card, please contact

Q: Is the card from manulife the same one used for prescriptions?

A: Yes! The benefit card is used for prescriptions, dental, and extended health benefits.

Q: Does our health/dental covers us all over Canada? Let’s say for services in Quebec or other provinces?

A: There is Out-of-Province or Out-of-Canada coverage. However, they differ from your regular coverage. Please see the Manulife Benefit Booklet for further details. You can also call Manulife to speak with one of their representatives at 1-800-268-6195.

Q: When can you view your pay stubs?

A: Pay advices are available on WebAdvisor 2 days prior to the pay date. The “How to View your Pay Advice” document was sent to all new residents prior to their start date.


Q: How will I know the status of my claim after submission?

A: You will receive email notifications at the email address entered on the Expense Reimbursement page at the time of submission

Q: When will I be paid?

A: The Finance Unit requires up to 10 business days for payment processing after receipt of an approved reimbursement request.  Accounts payable payments are issued once weekly, typically on Thursdays.

Q: Who do I contact regarding an outstanding claim?

A: Include your tracking number in any communication:

  • Prior to receiving the “received in Finance” email –contact your Program Coordinator
  • After receiving the “received in Finance” email – contact Accounts Payable
  • If you receive a “Processing Delay” email – if any other information is required by you, your coordinator will contact you directly

Q: What is the difference between Payroll and Finance?

A: Payroll – issues related to your pay, T4’s, on-call sheets, benefits, etc.

     Finance – issues related to expense reimbursements (ie. travel, wellness, etc), T2202’s

Q: How do I update my personal information?

A: Updates should go to Payroll first.  If you want the same information (ie banking) used for your pay and expense reimbursements,  make sure to check off the “share with Finance” box on the personal direct deposit form.

Q: Where can we find out what are the eligible calls that we can claim?

A: For questions related to call eligibility please refer to the CaRMS contract or consult your Program Coordinator.

Housing, Electives and Schedules

Q: Is there any way to modify a leave request once it has been approved? 

A: An approved leave cannot be modified, if the dates of the request need to change; cancel the request and submit using the new dates.  However, if you only need to change the type of leave but your dates stay the same, your program coordinator can assist you in changing the type of leave without cancelling the leave.

Q: Do we contact our receiving site first to see if a preceptor will accept us? Or do we complete the application for approval before?

A: Learners should continue to complete the online elective application and allow the Community Relations Coordinator to reach out to the preceptor for review and status.

Q: Are residents limited to Ontario for electives? Is housing available outside of your homebase?

A: Residents are not limited to Ontario for electives. Should residents wish to seek an elective outside of Northern Ontario, this would then be classified as an “external” elective in which residents should communicate directly with their designated program coordinator to self-arrange an “external” elective.

Housing can be available for elective placements outside of your homebase within Northern Ontario, if available. Toronto and Ottawa can be requested for elective placements and if available we can rent to the learner at a cost of $125.00 per week. Your program must consider and approve elective placements anywhere else, however Housing will be at the cost of the learner.

Q: I have a relative that I can live with in Sudbury and selected resident arranged housing on the housing survery. I am currently in the NOSM Family Medicine Rural program and plan on also completing some core rotations in Sault Ste. Marie as well. Is it possible to access housing if I were to do a core rotation in Sault Ste. Marie even though I selected the option for resident housing?

A: Once you select to arrange your own housing “resident Arranged housing”, which is also referred to as Housing Option #2, you are on the hook for all housing for placements. You can switch back to NOSM housing but you will not have the option to change again for the duration of your program.

Q: I am unable to request an elective on PANDA, when I click the green plus, nothing happens. What do I do?

A: This seems to be a technical issue that would need more specific troubleshooting. If you encounter these sorts of issues when submitting your online elective application, please email so that we can further investigate the issue.

Q: Is housing for electives the same as in undergrad – i.e. nosm housing is only available for 4-week blocks in the same community?

A: Funding for NOSM Accommodation or travel or both of one round trip will ONLY be applicable where the elective rotation(s) are a minimum of four consecutive weeks, within the same community. It is unlikely you will recieve program approval to complete anything less than a 4 week elective placement. Housing will not be automatically requested for elective placements in Ottawa or Toronto. Housing can be requested from NOSM housing and if available will be allocated for a fee of $125.00 per week.

Q: For those of us in the rural stream who do not require NOSM housing when on certain blocks outside of our rural home base, do we just email your office? I noticed some housing was already booked on my behalf.

A: Housing is requested for all placements booked for you outisde of your home base. Once your receive confirmation of your housing (4-6 weeks prio to placmeent start date) you can repsond to that email declining the housing.

Q: Does that mean if we need to opt-out for our family to come with us for one rotation then we can’t stay in nosm housing for future rotations?

A: NOSM PG learners can request family housing (which means we allocate a whole unit to the 1 learner) and we will advise no more than 60 days prior to their start date if we are able to accommodate the request. Family housing will never be allocated in communities where we have only 1 unit and of course, it is never guaranteed. Equally, if we have multiple units in communities it is because they are busy communities. 

If Family Housing is important to the learner we always recommend that they seriously consider Resident Arranged Housing (Option 2) so that they can guarantee they get what they want/need and can be reimbursed for it. The program coordinator would be instrumental in helping the learner make a sensible decision based on their schedule, how often are they out of town, which communities are they going to, will there be a choice of housing in the communities they are going to eg: most likely Sudbury, T Bay, North Bay vs unlikely Marathon, Kenora, Kapuskasing.  It is not an easy choice either way.  This option is available to learners once during their program duration. Eg: a learner can do option 2 and then go back to NOSM housing once. No reimbursement will be made for any housing after this for the rest of the program duration.
Q: How many weeks in advance should we apply for electives?
A: As far in advance if possible, but a good rule of thumb is a minimum of 12 weeks prior to the start date if NOSM Housing is required, a minimum of 8 weeks prior to the start date if no housing is required.
Q: Can you have your partner with you in NOSM housing?
A:  NOSM housing is provided for the learner only and for the sole purpose to complete a clinical placement outside of their home base.  A bedroom within a shared unit is allocated. Partners or any other family members are not permitted to stay in that unit unless family housing/unit allocation has been permitted.  Learners are strongly encouraged to abide by this, respecting those sharing the unit space. If it is important for any learners to travel with anyone else they will be asked to consider Resident Arranged Housing (option 2).


Q: Is the NOSM Elentra app only for iphone?

A: The NOSM Elentra app is available for both Apple and Android devices. The app is available for free download on the Apple iOS and Google Play stores. Further information on downloading and navigating the NOSM Elentra app is available in our online training module.

Q: Should the EPA’s be up in Elentra already?

A: Incoming PGY1 residents will be unable to trigger an assessment form until the official start of the academic year (July 1). If you continue to experience any issues following July 1, please contact the Evaluation and Assessment Team at

Q: Where can I find out more information on Elentra?

A: You can find additional NOSM Elentra training resources and information by visiting the Evaluation & Assessment webpage. Should you require further assistance, please contact!

Q: Does Elentra separate mandatory from non-mandatory tests?

A:  All forms generated to your account are considered mandatory.  If the form was generated in error, please contact us at with the details and we will remove it for you.  The *exception* is the clinical faculty form.  Although you are still expected to submit at least one per rotation, you will actually receive one new form each week.  Use what you need.  The unused forms will purge from your account before the start of the next week.  Again though – you are still expected to submit one clinical faculty evaluation for each preceptor you work with during a rotation.

Q: Will we receive an email to notify us when a new task has populated in our account or will we need to be checking this regularly?

A: You will receive an email notification anytime a new task is generated in your account.

Q: How come I can’t see any of my forms on Elentra right now?

A: Residents will only have access to forms once their initial academic year has officially started.  In Postgraduate Medical Education, the academic year starts on July 1.

Resident Wellness

Q: How do I find a family doctor? Can my partner and children also get one?

A: At the start of each academic year, the Resident Wellness Program refreshes their list of Northern
Physicians who have agreed to take on residents as patients. Contact the Resident Wellness Program to
find the names of family doctors in your area who are willing to take on residents and their families as
patients. To request this list, residents can click the Find a Family Doctor section in the app to send us a
request for the list or residents can email us at  Either way, the Wellness
Program will follow-up with sending you a copy of our Physicians Willing to Take Residents as Patients
list. The directions accompanying the physician list are highlighted on the form indicating residents
should contact the physician’s clerical staff (or method that has been indicated on the list for each
physician) to book an appointment with a reminder to inform them that they are a NOSM resident.

Q – Are there are any initiatives to help find work for partners?

A – Partner placement initiatives currently fall outside of the scope of the PGME wellness program
however our team would be happy to connect with you and help guide you as best we can based on
your particular circumstances. Feel free to reach out to us, to your local Site Administrative
Coordinators, or anyone in your program who may have insight in relation to the local employment
landscape. Another resource the Resident Wellness Program would like to highlight that can offer support to residents and their families with areas of spousal employment is Practice Ontario.

Practice Ontario – A Free Career Planning Service for Ontario’s Medical Residents During residency
Their services include:

  • Advisory services provide personal 1:1 job search assistance throughout Ontario.
  • An online Toolkit that includes practical resources for the various aspects related to transitioning
    into practice. Link:
  • is an on-line job board that connects health care organizations, communities &
    employers to health care professionals seeking employment (Full-time, Part-time & Locum).
    Search for Ontario positions by practice preferences, employer name, and/or location and view
    opportunities on an interactive map.

More information can be found on their website and to
contact a Regional Advisor about any of the above services, send a message to

Q: Can NOSM offer accommodations if a resident injures themselves?

A: Yes, the Resident Wellness Program can definitely assist with offering accommodations if a resident injures themselves.  In most cases, minor or short interval injuries can be dealt with by their program without requiring formal accommodations from the Wellness office. The Northern Ontario School of Medicine (NOSM) supports residents to be successful in their programs and to provide optimal patient care. Residents who enter NOSM post-graduate programs with disabilities or who develop disabilities during training may require additional support are referred to our Postgraduate Medical Education Accommodations policy.

The resident Wellness Program can aid in your Accommodations Plan to support adjustments to the learning and working environment that permit people with disabilities to have equal opportunities to succeed and to access equal benefits of education and employment. Accommodations serve to remove the barriers to achievement brought on by disability but do not change or lower the standards that a resident is required to meet.

Please feel free to contact us if you have further questions:

Resident Wellness Coordinator

Resident Wellness Lead Clinician

Canadian Medical Association

Q: Who is the Canadian Medical Association?

A: The CMA is your national, professional association. We represent physicians and physicians in training. We advocate on issues that matter to the profession and the health of Canadians. Our goal is to drive positive change within the profession and Canada’s health care system. 

Q: Where do I access CMA resident orientation information and resources? 

A: Please visit 

Q: Why join the CMA? 

A: Our key role at the CMA is to advocate for change at the national level. By joining thousands of resident members across the country we are able to advocate more effectively for improvements to our health care system. 

Q: Is there a cost to join the CMA? 

A: No, membership is complimentary for medical students and residents. 

Q: How do I renew my CMA membership? 

A: Please visit On the main page there will be a button called “stay in touch” where you can update your contact info. 

Q: If I need assistance with membership, retrieving my CMA member ID #, the CMA website or registering for online courses, who can I contact for help? 

A: Our Membership Service Centre team would be pleased to help and is available Mon-Fri 8am- 8pm EST Toll Free: 1-888-855-2555 or