Students wishing to volunteer
During the COVID-19 pandemic, many students are being asked by professional, private, and governmental bodies to volunteer their time. We know that many of you are committed to lending your assistance during this time in various ways in healthcare settings e.g. virtual care, helping healthcare professionals with errands and childcare, and assisting vulnerable members of the community such as housebound seniors. NOSM commends your commitment to your community but wishes to emphasize that there is no expectation that you volunteer. If you choose to volunteer, please be aware of the following:
- It is your own decision, whether or not, you choose to volunteer.
- Volunteer activities are done entirely at your own risk.
- Volunteer activities will not be covered by the School’s insurance or WSIB.
- Volunteer activities must not interfere with your academic studies.
- No financial or logistical support from NOSM will be available to you.
- If you are injured or become ill while volunteering, you will only be covered by OHIP. Unless the organisation or site where you are volunteering makes additional coverage available to you, or you have your own personal coverage.
The assessment of risk is yours to make, and we urge you to make informed decisions and to keep yourself safe. Before volunteering you may like to ask the following questions:
- What does the role entail?
- How much time are you being asked to commit to the activity?
- Will the activity interfere with your academic studies?
- What training and supervision will be offered?
- What is the likelihood of exposure to the COVID-19 virus?
- What personal protective equipment will be offered to you?
- What personal injury or health benefits will be offered to you if you should be injured or become ill while volunteering?
- What insurance coverage is provided to you if you should injure another person?
Please note that students who are existing health professionals who wish to work during the pandemic should refer to Students wishing to work.
Students wishing to find out about what volunteer opportunities are available should contact the NOSM Student Council by emailing Jai Mashru (firstname.lastname@example.org).