Volunteer with CampMed
Applications to volunteer at CampMed will open on January 30, 2019.
Interested in Health Sciences?
Thinking of applying to medicine in the future?
Need to build up your resume with volunteer experiences?
Then NOSM Has An Exciting Opportunity For You!
Formerly known as NOSM’s Health Sciences Summer Camp, CampMed is currently accepting applications from students currently in progress with their undergraduate degree for the volunteer positions of: TEAM LEAD and CAMP AND CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION (CSI) LEAD.
What You Gain
- A medical student mentor.
- Advice and anecdotes from other health science professionals.
- An opportunity to develop your leadership and communication skills by interacting with high school students.
- An impressive entry for your resume of volunteer experiences.
- An opportunity to explore Indigenous culture, health and tradition, as well as Francophone culture, health and tradition.
What You Offer
- Mentorship by leading a small group of keen high school students who are thinking about studying for a career in health sciences.
- Leadership skills.
- Communication skills.
- Cultural competencies that allow you to interact with a diverse group of high school students.
Camp and Crime Scene Investigation (CSI) Lead: Responsible for creating/writing a murder scenario with both victim(s) and suspects, and guiding the campers through multiple activities in order to solve the mystery. Materials will be provided to the CSI Leads to guide the process. Ensure timing and flow of activities throughout the day, work with other Team Leads to ensure activities are set up and ready ahead of time, introduce and thank health professional volunteers before and after sessions, assist and help out other Team Leads if required.
Dates and Locations
Held at Laurentian University on July 8 – 12, 2019 from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Held at Lakehead University on July 15 – 19, 2019 from 8:00 a.m. tp 5:00 p.m.
The camp provides Northern Ontario and rural and remote students of Canada going into grade 10 and 11 in September with an opportunity to explore Indigenous culture, health and tradition, Francophone culture, health and tradition, health-care careers, obtain hands-on experience, and find a mentor.
- must be enrolled in any four year university degree program and have completed the minimum of one year in the program.
- Preferences will be given to applicants studying or living in Northern Ontario, or other rural and remote areas of Canada.
- Application Form (English) (Français)
Complete and submit the above Application Form
- Essay of Intent
Submit a 1-2 page essay that outlines your interest in medicine/health sciences. The essay should also identify what sets you apart from your peers, as well as your greatest accomplishment and failure.
Submit a resume outlining your work and volunteer history.
- Letter of Reference
Provide a letter of recommendation from a referee that can speak to your character, personal qualities, and academic capabilities. This referee can be an individual who knows you in a context of your academics (professor), research (thesis supervisor), employment (supervisor), or volunteer or community activities. Please ensure that this referee has known you for a minimum of one year.
- Criminal Records Check
If you are selected to participate as a volunteer for NOSM’s CampMed, a Criminal Records Check will be required prior to the start of camp. The fee for the Criminal Records Check will be reimbursed by NOSM.
The deadline to apply as a volunteer for CampMed is February 28, 2019.
Completed application and supporting documents can be submitted to:
Northern Ontario School of Medicine
935 Ramsey Lake Road
Sudbury ON, P3E 2C6
Toll Free: 1-800-461-8777 ext. 7198
Tel: 705-662-7198 / Fax: 807-766-7368
Back to CampMed