Volunteer with CampMed
The safety of the NOSM community is our top priority as we closely monitor the global COVID-19 pandemic. With the welfare of our learners in mind, we have made the difficult decision not to offer the in-person delivery of CampMed in Sudbury and Thunder Bay in July 2020.
We are currently exploring alternative options that will enable us to offer a similar experience for participants. We are therefore not accepting applications at this time. More information will be made available as things are confirmed.
We thank you for your patience as we continue to adapt to the COVID-19 situation.
Interested in Health Sciences?
Thinking of applying to medicine in the future?
Need to build up your resume with volunteer experiences?
Then NOSM Has An Exciting Opportunity For You!
CampMed is accepting applications from students who are enrolled in any university degree program for the volunteer positions of: TEAM LEAD and CAMP AND CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION (CSI) LEAD.
What You Gain
- A medical student mentor.
- Advice and anecdotes from other health science professionals.
- An opportunity to develop your leadership and communication skills by interacting with high school students.
- An impressive entry for your resume of volunteer experiences.
- An opportunity to explore Indigenous culture, health and tradition, as well as Francophone culture, health and tradition.
What You Offer
- Mentorship by leading a small group of keen high school students who are thinking about studying for a career in health sciences.
- Leadership skills.
- Communication skills.
- Cultural competencies that allow you to interact with a diverse group of high school students.
Camp and Crime Scene Investigation (CSI) Lead: Responsible for creating/writing a murder scenario with both victim(s) and suspects, and guiding the campers through multiple activities in order to solve the mystery. Materials will be provided to the CSI Leads to guide the process. Ensure timing and flow of activities throughout the day, work with other Team Leads to ensure activities are set up and ready ahead of time, introduce and thank health professional volunteers before and after sessions, assist and help out other Team Leads if required.
Dates, Deadlines, and Locations
The CampMed 2020 volunteer application is now closed.
Dates and Locations
CampMed 2020 at Laurentian University Campus in Sudbury: July 6 – July 10, 2020
CampMed 2020 at Lakehead University Campus in Thunder Bay: July 13 – July 17, 2020
The camp provides Northern Ontario and rural and remote students of Canada going into grade 10 and 11 in September with an opportunity to explore Indigenous culture, health and tradition, Francophone culture, health and tradition, health-care careers, obtain hands-on experience, and find a mentor.
- must be enrolled in any university degree program; if enrolled in an undergraduate program must have completed a minimum of one year in the program by the start of CampMed
- Preferences will be given to applicants studying or living in Northern Ontario, or other rural and remote areas of Canada.
- Electronic Application Form (English) (Français) (link will open in a new browser tab)
Complete and submit the above Application Form. You will be required to upload/provide the following supporting documents:
- Essay of Intent
Upload a 1-2 page essay that outlines your interest in medicine/health sciences. The essay should also identify what sets you apart from your peers, as well as your greatest accomplishment and failure.
Upload a resume outlining your work and volunteer history.
- Letter of Recommendation
Provide a letter of recommendation from a referee that can speak to your character, personal qualities, and academic capabilities. This referee can be an individual who knows you in a context of your academics (professor), research (thesis supervisor), employment (supervisor), or volunteer or community activities. Please ensure that this referee has known you for a minimum of one year.
- Essay of Intent
- Criminal Records Check
If you are selected to participate as a volunteer for NOSM’s CampMed, a Criminal Records Check will be required prior to the start of camp. The fee for the Criminal Records Check will be reimbursed by NOSM.
**Although CampMed does accept applications from past volunteers, priority in the selection process will be given to new volunteers to provide equal opportunity.**
Your Letter of Recommendation can be submitted to:
Office of Admissions & Learner Recruitment – CampMed
Northern Ontario School of Medicine
935 Ramsey Lake Road
Sudbury ON, P3E 2C6
Toll Free: 1-800-461-8777 ext. 7198
Back to CampMed