How to Apply/FAQs
The NOSM University PGY3 Family Medicine Emergency Medicine enhanced skills program participates in the FM-ES Match through the Canadian Residency Matching Service (CaRMS). Application to the the program can be found by visiting the CaRMS website at www.carms.ca.
The application deadline, interview date, and match day for each year is listed on the Canadian Residency Matching Service (CaRMS) website. Please check the CaRMS website at www.carms.ca as they will be overseeing the match process, which usually begins in August of each year with a deadline for application usually set for the beginning of September.
Interested candidates can apply to the FM-ES CaRMS Match during their second year of family medicine training.
Six positions are available on an annual basis (three per home base site), and the program runs from July 1st to June 30th of each year.
Applicants are encouraged to apply to both home base training sites (Sudbury and Thunder Bay).
Sudbury Site Promo Video: Click Here!
Family Physicians currently practicing in Canada must apply separately as re-entry candidates, via the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC) Re-Entry Program. Additional information about the Re-Entry Program and application requirements are available on the MOHLTC Central Forms Repository.
1) Application form
2) Three Reference Letters
- one from your primary Family Medicine preceptor
- one from an Emergency Medicine supervisor
- one letter of your choice
Each letter must be accompanied by the “Referee Assessment of Applicant form”.
3) Assessment by Program Director
- A letter from your Family Medicine Program Director (or Site Director in circumstances where this cannot be obtained from the PD) which must be accompanied by the “Family Medicine Program Director’s Assessment of Applicant”.
4) Personal Letter
- A personal letter describing yourself and your career interests is required.
5) Curriculum Vitae
The NOSM University PGY3 FM/EM Recruitment and Selection Subcommittee is chaired by the Program Director. Each interviewing team will include Emergency Medicine preceptors and the Co-Chief residents.