Admissions Selection Process
All applications to NOSM are initially screened and scored based on three (3) components:
- Grade Point Average (GPA)
- The Autobiographical Sketch and School Submission Questions
- Context. The context score is based on where you have lived and are living in Canada.
Context is a score based on each of the following geographic or cultural criteria:
- Rural background based on years lived in a rural community anywhere in Canada that is defined using the Statistics Canada classification of communities.
- Northern background based on years lived in Northern Ontario or another Canadian northern region.
- Self-identified Francophone applicants or Indigenous Applicants who apply through the NOSM Indigenous application steam.
The scoring weight of each component is approximately 1/3. The combination of the scores from these 3 components will determine if you are offered an interview. Approximately 300 of the top ranked applicants are invited to participate in the admissions interviews.
The final selection of applicants receiving an offer of admission is based on a combination of the pre-interview (50%) and the interview (50%) scores and a complete file review by the Admissions Selection Committee. It is at this point in the selection process that reference letters are reviewed.
Incomplete applications and/or those do not meet the minimum requirements, will be disqualified.
These items are not considered in selection:
- Age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race, religion, sexual orientation
- MCAT (you are not required to write the MCAT to apply to NOSM)
Offers to interview are expected to go out toward the end of January to mid-February of the potential enrolment year via e-mail and postal mail. Achieving the minimum requirements does not guarantee that you will be invited for an interview. Applicants who are unsuccessful at this stage are also notified in late January to mid-February.
Admission interviews are normally conducted in March and/or April in both Sudbury and Thunder Bay. Please see below for this year’s interview dates.
Interviews for NOSM 2020 will take place:
Thunder Bay – March 7, 2020 & March 8, 2020
Sudbury – March 28, 2020 & March 29, 2020
If you are invited to interview, you will receive a description of the interview process in your invitation to interview package.
The Northern Ontario School of Medicine is committed to the highest standards of ethical and professional behaviour of students, faculty and staff. All candidates who are interviewed will be required to sign a confidentiality statement. Your signature will confirm your agreement to not disclose the following:
- The identity of the interviewers
- The interview questions
- Answers made by you during the interview