Needs Assessment Resources
Find information specific to Northern Ontario that can be used to identify needs of our faculty to help choose topics for your next CPD event-it may differ from what you think and uncover some unperceived needs!
This report from ICES identifies why patients seek medical care in various settings-outpatient visits, emergency department and hospital.
Did you know…
- The most common reason for an outpatient visit to a primary care provider is Drug Dependence and Drug Addiction?
- The most common reason for an emergency department visit is Abdominal and Pelvic Pain?
- The most common admission diagnosis is COPD?
View the full report: Health Care Utilization in Northern Ontario
District Health Unit Data
These reports highlight specific health issues and recommendations of relevance to communities in Northern Ontario.
View the report: Invasive Group A Streptococcal disease in Thunder Bay & District
Public Health Ontario Data
Public Health Ontario provides a rich set of statistics and reports that can help guide evidence-based educational programming.
Did you know. . .
- The percentage of gonorrhea cases in Ontario receiving the recommended provincial first line treatment after the release of the provincial guidelines on April 30, 2013 increased from 47.9% (1,456/3,037) in the remainder of 2013 to 58.1% (3,301/5,677) in 2014.
View the full report: Treatment patterns among gonorrhea cases in Ontario, 2008 to 2014
Did you know . . .
- More than 850 Ontarians died from Opiod-related causes in 2016.
View detailed data: Opiod-related morbidity and mortality in Ontario
This report identifies the most common reasons physicians in Northern Ontario seek advice from the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) resulting in legal action.
Did you know…
- Most cases involve the roles and competencies of Medical Expert, Communicator and Collaborator?
- Information on situational awareness (i.e. keeping track of what is happening and anticipating what might need to be done) would promote better clinical decision-making during the diagnostic process, performance of therapeutic procedures and medication management.
View the full report: Medical-legal risk for physicians practicing in Northern Ontario
Library Literature Searches
Find out what our faculty are searching at the NOSM Library.
- Between November 2010 and December 2015 our Librarians prepared 180 literature searches on topics that vary from ‘Anxiety related swallowing disorder’ to ‘metformin and gestational diabetes’ and ‘excision areas for basal cell cancer’.
View the full report: NOSM Library Literature Searches
Links to other Resources
Find active links to other resources here.
CMPA Good Practices Guide: browse this site and get great information and access accredited e-learning on topics geared to improve practice and reduce medico-legal risk. Get ideas about topics for your CPD event!
Ontario Drug Policy Research Network: view the Opioid Use and Related Adverse Events in Ontario-even map it to your district!
Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada (TRC)