Donate Now!

Your Impact

Group of five NOSM MD graduates holding a sign that says thank you, merci, and miigwetch.

The Northern Ontario School of Medicine’s first MD class graduated in 2009. 2019 marks ten years of graduating medical students; to date, 595 students have graduated from our MD program. Our charter class began their studies in 2005 with only a vision of what the school could become. All of them believed that everyone—no matter where they
live—deserves access to quality health care.

Those first graduates have been essential to NOSM becoming rooted in the North. In the ten years since they graduated, some have chosen to serve Northern Ontario communities where they grew up, or that embraced them as medical students and residents. Many NOSM graduates continue to be involved in the School as faculty, administrators and board members, working with us to improve the health of Northern Ontarians.

NOSM students and graduates are making a difference every day in the health of communities across Northern Ontario.  Your support makes that happen.  You are having an impact on our students, our gradates, our communities.

Over the past thirteen years, NOSM has taken root in the North.

  • 94% of NOSM graduates who have completed both their MD and residency programs at NOSM are now practising in Northern Ontario.
  • 92% of NOSM MD students are from Northern Ontario. The remaining 8% are from other rural and remote areas of Canada.
  • There have been 595 MD graduates from NOSM since 2009.
  • Since 2007, 135 Registered Dietitians have graduated from NOSM’s Northern Ontario Dietetic Internship Program.
  • Since 2011, 194 NOSM-educated family physicians now practice in Northern Ontario, which translates to better access to care for approximately 228,000 Northern Ontarians.

Image containing the information that NOSM awarded 3,771 student bursaries and provided students more than $7.6 million in financial aid.