Joint Senate Committee for NOSM
A Joint Senate Committee for the Northern Ontario School of Medicine (NOSM) has been duly constituted by both Senates to review all academic recommendations from the Academic Council, and make recommendations to both Senates for their approval.
|Lakehead University Members:|
|Interim Provost and Vice-President Academic||Dr. Rhonda Koster (Vice Chair)||Ex-officio|
|Chair or a delegate from the Senate undergraduate Studies Committee (appointed for the year by USC, if different from the chair)||Dr. Isabelle Lemée||Ex-officio
|One student selected by the Lakehead University Student Union (LUSU)Nicholas Bel||
|October 2021 – June 30, 2022|
|One Faculty Member||Dr. Birbal Singh||2018-2021
(commencing July 1, 2021 through June 30, 2024)
|One Faculty Member who is a Senator elected by Senate||Dr. Don Kerr||2020-2023|
|One individual from Lakehead University with expertise in a health related area, elected by Lakehead Senate||Dr. Rebecca Schiff||July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2024|
|NOSM Appointment (non-voting)||Dr. William McCready||Ex-officio|
|Secretary of Senate (non-voting)||Yvonne Roussel Associate Secretary (designate)||Ex-officio|
|Laurentian University Members:|
|Vice-President, Academic and Provost||Dr. Joël Dickinson||Ex-officio (designate)|
|One representative from NOSM||Dr. David MacLean (Chair)||2019-2022|
|Three faculty members||Dr. Abdel Omri||2018-2022|
|Dr. Mazen Saleh||2018-2022|
|One student selected by the NOSM Student Council||Emily Booth||2020-2022|
|Secretary of Senate (non-voting)||Dr. Serge Demers, Registrar and Secretary||Ex-officio|
Terms of Reference
Approved by Lakehead Senate: October 2005; May 14, 2007; January 23, 2009; January 20, 2012; January 18, 2013; September 16, 2013; October 20, 2014; April 11, 2017; May 14, 2018; November 4, 2019
Approved by Laurentian Senate: June 19, 2007, Sept 16, 2008; April 17, 2013
The Joint Senate Committee for NOSM (“Committee”) has been duly constituted by both Senates to review all academic recommendations from the Academic Council for NOSM (“Academic Council”) and make recommendations to both Senates for their approval.
Role and Function
- The Committee will review only proposals approved by the Academic Council.
- The Committee may consult as necessary.
- The Committee may recommend acceptance of proposals it has reviewed to the Senates of both Lakehead and Laurentian Universities.
- The Secretary to the Academic Council will be the Secretary to the Joint Senate Committee and provide administration assistance for this committee.
- Any recommendation that the Committee makes must go to both Senates and must be the same for both.
- Rejection or referral back of a Committee recommendation by either Senate will be deemed rejection or referral back by both Senates.
- Any recommendation rejected or referred back to the Committee that is subsequently revised must go back to both Senates
Each University will select six (6) voting members for the Joint Senate Committee for NOSM.
- 1 Vice-President Academic and Provost *
- 1 representative from NOSM appointed by the Dean of the Medical School
- 3 faculty members
- 1 NOSM Student selected by the NOSM Student Council
- Secretary of Senate or designate (non-voting)
- 1 Provost and Vice President (Academic) *
- 1 Chair or delegate from the Senate Undergraduate Studies Committee (appointed for the year by SUSC, if different from the chair)
- 1 Faculty Senator elected by Lakehead Senate
- 1 Faculty member, recommended to Senate through the Senate Nominating Committee
- 1 individual from Lakehead University with expertise in a health related area, elected by Lakehead Senate. The individual may qualify through a teaching or research specialization
- 1 student selected by the Lakehead University Student Union
- 1 representative from NOSM at Lakehead University appointed by the Dean of the Medical School (non-voting)
- Secretary of Senate or designate (non-voting)
*If the Provost & Vice President (Academic) is absent, the Deputy Provost or designate may attend meetings as a voting member [if applicable]
Terms of Office
- Faculty members: three-year terms (renewable)
- Student members: up to a 2 year term (renewable)
The Chair and Vice-Chair will be elected annually by the Committee from among voting members at the last meeting of each academic year. If the Chair is a Laurentian Member, the Vice-Chair shall be a Lakehead Member, and vice versa.
The Committee may meet by video and/or audio conference.
A minimum of seven (7) days’ notice shall be given for all meetings except that a meeting may be held at any time without due notice if all members of the Committee are able to be present and/or consent thereto.
A quorum for the transaction of business at a Joint Senate Committee meeting shall be 50% plus one member (e.g. 7 of 12) or a simple majority of the filled positions.
A member who is absent from a scheduled committee meeting more than three (3) times per academic year will have his or her membership on the committee automatically terminated unless determined otherwise by the Chair.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, in-person capacity at any meeting may be limited or restricted. Until further notice all committee meetings are by electronic meeting format (WebEx).
For more information on the Joint Senate Committee for NOSM, please contact:
Gina Kennedy, Corporate Secretary
Manager Policy and Governance Relations
Northern Ontario School of Medicine at Laurentian University