Joint Senate Committee for NOSM
A Joint Senate Committee for the Northern Ontario School of Medicine (NOSM) has been duly constituted by both Senates to review all academic recommendations from the Academic Council, and make recommendations to both Senates for their approval.
|Lakehead University Members:|
|Provost and Vice-President Academic||Dr. Nancy Luckai (designate)||Ex-officio|
|Chair or a delegate from the Senate undergraduate Studies Committee (appointed for the year by USC, if different from the chair)||Dr. Michael Stevenson||Ex-officio
|One student selected by the Lakehead University Student Union (LUSU)||Niharika Shahi||2018-2019|
|One Faculty Member||Dr. Birbal Singh||2018-2021|
|One Faculty Member who is a Senator elected by Senate||Dr. Rhonda Koster||2018-2021|
|One individual from Lakehead University with expertise in a health related area, elected by Lakehead Senate||Dr. Sylvane Filice||2018-2021|
|NOSM Appointment (non-voting)||Dr. Penny Moody-Corbett||Ex-officio|
|Secretary of Senate (non-voting)||Ms. Barbara H. Eccles, Legal Counsel and Interim University Secretary||Ex-officio|
|Laurentian University Members:|
|Vice-President, Academic and Provost||Dr. Celine Lariviere (designate)||Ex-officio|
|One representative from NOSM||Dr. Catherine Cervin / Dr. David MacLean||2018-2021|
|Three faculty members||Dr. Abdel Omri||2015-2018|
|Dr. Mazen Saleh||2015-2018|
|One NOSM student||Jacob Belanger||2018-2019|
|Secretary of Senate (non-voting)||Diane Roy, Interim Registrar and Secretary||Ex-officio|
Terms of Reference
Approved by Lakehead Senate: October 2005; May 14, 2007; January 23, 2009; January 20, 2012; January 18, 2013; September 16, 2013; October 20, 2014; April 11, 2017; May 14, 2018
Approved by Laurentian Senate: June 19, 2007, Sept 16, 2008; April 17, 2013
The Joint Senate Committee for NOSM “JSC” has been duly constituted by both Senates to review all academic recommendations from the Academic Council and make recommendations to both Senates for their approval.
Role and Function
- The Committee will review only proposals approved by the Academic Council for NOSM.
- The Committee will be able to consult as necessary.
- The Committee will be able to recommend acceptance of proposals it has reviewed to the Senates of both Lakehead and Laurentian Universities.
- The Secretary to the Academic Council will be the Secretary to the Joint Senate Committee and provide administration assistance for this committee.
- Any recommendation that the Committee makes must go to both Senates and must be the same for both.
- Rejection or referral back of a Committee recommendation by either Senate will be deemed rejection or referral back by both Senates.
- Any recommendation rejected or referred back to the Committee that is subsequently revised must go back to both Senates
Pursuant to the NOSM Policy Regarding Academic Appeals, the Academic Council Appeal Committee will be drawn from the Committee Panel and will be convened to hear learner appeals based on an academic decision rendered by any Northern Ontario School of Medicine (“NOSM” or “School”) program or committee under the purview of the Academic Council (the “Council”) making a promotion, withdrawal decision or finding of unprofessional behavior.
The membership of the Committee Panel will include the Chair of the Joint Senate Committee for NOSM (or designate), who shall serve as Chair of the Committee Panel and two (2) additional members of the Joint Senate Committee appointed by the Committee for a period of two academic years, running from July 1 to June 20. Certain terms of service may survive beyond a member’s term of appointment.
Each University will select six (6) voting members for the Joint Senate Committee for NOSM.
- 1 Vice-President Academic and Provost *
- 1 representative from NOSM
- 3 faculty members
- 1 NOSM Student from an Association representing NOSM Students
- Secretary of Senate or designate (non-voting)
- 1 Provost and Vice President (Academic) *
- 1 Chair or delegate from the Senate Undergraduate Studies Committee (appointed for the year by SUSC, if different from the chair)
- 1 Faculty Senator elected by Lakehead Senate (3 year term)
- 1 Faculty member, recommended to Senate through the Senate Nominating Committee (3 year term)
- 1 individual from Lakehead University with expertise in a health related area, elected by Lakehead Senate. The individual may qualify through a teaching or research specialization (3 year term)
- 1 student selected by the Lakehead University Student Union (up to a 2 year term)
- Secretary of Senate or designate (non-voting)
*If the Provost & Vice President (Academic) is absent, the Deputy Provost or designate may attend meetings as a voting member [if applicable]
A non-voting representative from NOSM will sit on the Committee to assist, appointed by the Dean of the Medical School.
Terms of Office
- Faculty members: three-year terms (renewable)
- Student members: one-year terms (renewable)
The Chair will be elected annually by the Committee from among voting members at the first meeting of each academic year.
The Committee may meet by video and/or audio conference.
A minimum of seven (7) days’ notice shall be given for all meetings except that a meeting may be held at any time without due notice if all members of the Committee are able to be present and/or consent thereto.
A quorum for the transaction of business at a Joint Senate Committee meeting shall be 50% plus one member (7 of 12) or a simple majority of the filled positions.
A member who is absent from a scheduled committee meeting more than three (3) times per academic year will have his or her membership on the committee automatically terminated unless determined otherwise by the Chair.
All meetings are held via site to site WebEx -Conference
- Fall dates will be determined in September
For more information on the Joint Senate Committee for NOSM, please contact:
Gina Kennedy, DTM
Secretary to the Academic Council
Tel: (705) 662-7206