of Evidence-Based Medicine: Online Learning Modules
The Health Sciences Library is offering a
series of one hour-long interactive train the trainer web-based sessions,
designed to support evidence-based practice and foster life-long learning.
These sessions focus on the essential steps in evidence based medicine (EBM)
that are relevant and appropriate for the practitioner. We will highlight
resources available through the Health Sciences Library, as well as reputable
open access resources.
By the end of the program,
participants will be able to:
- Explain the steps of the evidence-based medicine process.
- Identify and apply the steps of the evidence-based medicine process in a
- Identify and employ evidence-based health sciences resources.
Online Learning Modules
- Essentials of EBM Module 1: The
- Describe the EBM process.
Define the terms "evidence-based medicine," "evidence-based practice," and "evidence-based health care."
- Explain the role of EBM in clinical practice and medical education.
- Essentials of EBM Module 2: Ask
- Formulate a clear and answerable clinical question.
- Translate a clinical scenario into PICO.
- Identify study design and clinical question type.
- Essentials of EBM Module 3: Acquire
- Select the appropriate sources of evidence based upon the clinical question and information need.
- Identify the levels and grades of evidence.
- Search NOSM Health Sciences Library resources effectively with subject headings, keywords, limits, and Boolean operators.
- Essentials of EBM Module 4: Appraise and Apply
- Identify the three key elements for basic assessment of any article (validity, results, and relevancy).
- Assess research with design-specific criteria.
- Identify the basic statistics required for assessing each study design.
- Evaluate the application of the EBM process in a clinical setting.
- Enhance skills for incorporating EBM into clinical teaching and modelling.
- Identify areas for further education and practice in EBM t
Accreditation: This program meets the
accreditation criteria of The College of Family Physicians of Canada and has
been accredited for up to 1 Mainpro+ credit(s) as approved by the Continuing
Education and Professional Development Office at the Northern Ontario School of
Medicine. This event is an Accredited Group Learning Activity (Section 1) as
defined by the Maintenance of Certification program of The Royal College of
Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, approved by the Continuing Education and
Professional Development Office at the Northern Ontario School of Medicine for
up to 1 hours.
Cost: Free to NOSM Learners,
Faculty, and Staff with a username and password.
assistance, please contact email@example.com